What is Two Factor Authentication?
Two-factor authentication (also known as 2FA) is a method of confirming a user’s claimed identity by utilising a combination of two different unique identification mechanisms.
Typically these mechanisms fall into at least two of the following categories: knowledge (something you know), possession (something you have), and inherence (something you are).
By enabling 2FA, you are adding an extra layer of security to your account. Alongside your password (something you know) you will also have to verify your identity using your mobile device (something you have).
How enabling 2FA will affect your Bytemark log-in process
Enabling 2FA on your Bytemark account will result in the panel displaying a barcode for your phone to capture.
Upon recognising this barcode, your phone will then display a 6-digit number which changes in short, regular intervals. This number is then entered into the screen alongside your password to verify your identity.
Once 2FA is enabled, every subsequent log-in to your Bytemark account will require you to undergo this process to generate and enter the the 6-digit number on your phone.
How to set up 2FA on Bytemark Panel
- Login to Bytemark Panel and select ‘Your profile’ in the top right corner, then select two-factor authentication on the left hand menu bar.
- Click ‘Setup two-factor authentication’ to get the process started. If you do not have one already, you will need to install an authentication app on your phone. We recommend Google Authenticator or Authy:
- Once that’s installed, go to ‘Add new account’ and take a picture of the barcode shown on the Bytemark Panel screen. Your phone will then show a six-digit code.
- Enter this code into Panel. The Panel screen should confirm this entry and also show your recovery code.
- Write down the recovery code somewhere safe, as this code is your primary recovery method! At this point the screen in Panel will confirm that 2FA is active.
- Test the setup by hitting Logout in the top-right. You will then be thrown back to the login screen where you can log in using your shiny new 2FA setup!